A flavorful but simple “meal of leftovers,” these fried appetizers pair well with a fig reduction or other sweet, fruity dipping sauces.
- 1/2 C short grain brown rice, cooked and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 C (3 oz) pitted Kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 3 oz goat cheese or feta, crumbled
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 4 leaves kale, cabbage, or chard, destemmed (if necessary) and finely chopped
- 1 package wonton wrappers (40-60 count)
- Egg whites or water for sealing the wonton wrappers
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 C olive oil, for frying
- Heat the two tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the kale, and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the kale is wilted. Remove from heat and chill until you are ready to assemble the wonton wrappers.
- When all ingredients are prepared and cooled to room temperature or refrigerated, combine the rice, kale and onions, goat cheese, and olives in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground black pepper, and mix the ingredients together using a large spoon.
- Arrange the wonton skins in a pile on a large plate or platter. One at a time, place a small ball of the rice and olive mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper. Coat two adjacent edges of the wrapper with water or egg whites, then close the wrapper in a triangle shape and press the edges to seal.
- Pick up the triangle, longest edge uppermost, and crimp the center of the triangle by pulling the corners on either side of the diagonal upward, into a shape resembling a rabbit or a bunny’s head.
- Fold the ears of the bunny over the bottom of the bite, and place the bites on a fresh plate, ready for frying.
- In a frying pan, warm the half cup of oil on low-medium heat, until you can drop an empty wonton wrapper in the oil and see it immediately begin to sizzle.
- Using a spatula or a large slotted spoon, gently place the Kalamata olive bites into the oil, a few at a time. Fry for 1-3 minutes per side, or until both sides are a bubbly, golden brown. Serve immediately.